Friday, January 25, 2013

Fiscally Fit and Physically Fit: The journey is the same

Last night, I got home from work and felt AWFUL. I had a low grade fever, and just felt achy. Jon was working late, and even though we had meal planned for the week and had taken chicken out to grill. I DID NOT want to cook. I gave in and ordered pizza.  This morning, as I was driving to work, I realized that not only did I go over in points plus yesterday (thank you 49 weekly allowable), but I also created a dent in our budget. This when I realized that so many of the behavior changes I have made for getting physically fit also apply to our Gazelle Intense journey in getting fiscally fit.

1. On paper on purpose. Every month we write our budget and spend every dollar on paper first. This was one of our greatest take aways from Financial Peace University, and it has really helped get our spending under-control. Tracking points plus is the same way. I track everything I eat, and if I know an event is coming up, I also plan my points.

2. Sacrifices now for a better life later...or as DR says "Live like no one else, so later you can live like no one else." There are many things we have given up in our journey to be debt free. We rarely eat out, we limit our excess spending (eliminated cable at one point, no birthday gift and Christmas gifts for each other, etc.): we choose whats most important and that is where our money goes. Same thing with losing weight--I am making better choices now so that I am healthier later. I am choosing whats most point friendly, versus whats most "taste" friendly.

3. Hit a bump, adjust, and keep working towards the goal. And this applies to last night most specifically. In the past, I would have ordered the pizza on a credit card and ate as much as I wanted. Last night, I ordered the pizza with our food budget. What this means is I did not "blow" our budget, but when we grocery shop this weekend, I have to make and adjustment for the $25.00 I spent. Eating pizza one night did not "blow" my diet. I tracked my points, I still have several weekly allowable points, and I am right back on track today.

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that the behavior changes needed for getting out of debt and getting healthy were so similar. Looking forward to reading any of your comments...what are you doing that require behavior changes?

Have a great Friday (stay safe for all of you experiencing snow and ice!).
Working my way to fit,
Kati

No comments:

Post a Comment